Australian Consulate-General
Shanghai, China

Police Clearance

Australian Police Checks

Under the Australian Privacy Act, the Consulate-General in Shanghai cannot obtain confidential information on Australian citizens or residents of Australia from any Australian police force. Only the person themselves may obtain this information directly from the relevant state, territory or federal police force.

You should contact the police authorities in Australia directly to arrange issue of an Australian police certificate.

The Australian Federal Police (AFP) provides National Police Checks for:

  • residents of the Australian Capital Territory (ACT), Jervis Bay Territory and external Commonwealth territories
  • people seeking employment with the Commonwealth Government
  • people requiring a check under Commonwealth legislation
  • Australian immigration purposes
  • where the applicant resides overseas
  • overseas employment
  • overseas adoption
  • visa applications for overseas travel.

All other applicants should contact the Criminal Records section of their relevant State or Territory police service. If you are unsure whether you should apply to the AFP or your state service contact Criminal Records for further information.

If you need a certified copy of your AFP police check (ie for a Chinese visa application), you must request a paper version of the police check be mailed to you. Only original documents can be notarised.


Chinese Police Checks

For information on obtaining a Chinese Police Clearance Certificate you must contact a Chinese government Notary Public Office.

Shanghai Notary Public Offices

We recommend you first telephone the Shanghai Oriental Notary Public and/or the Jing'an Notary Public to confirm they can provide you with a Chinese Police Clearance Certificate. Their details can be found at the bottom of our list of Alternative Notary Service Providers.